Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
At last, an easy-to-make "scratch" cake recipe that does not need frosting! Recipe has been modified from one given to me by a friend years ago... 6/30/07 NOTE: This is not a standard chocolate cake recipe nor a spice cake recipe. The cocoa and chocolate chips help add to the "dark chocolaty" flavor and appearance but the applesauce and spices give it a unique flavor addition, producing a dark, moist cake with a different flavor with the added bonus of being a no-frost cake.
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups applesauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup chocolate chips
- Grease and flour a 13x 9" baking pan.
- In large mixing bowl, mix oil and 1 1/2 c sugar.
- Add beaten eggs, flour (no need to sift), cinnamon, salt, applesauce, baking soda and cocoa and mix until well-blended.
- Pour into pan and sprinkle with 1 1/2 T sugar, nuts (chopped walnuts or pecans) and 3/4 C chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350 dg. for 30-40 mins, until top springs back when touched, covering with foil if top gets too brown.
- Moist and delicious!
Everyone loved this cake! It was easy and delish!
This recipe came out great. The applesauce doesn't really taste through the chocolate and cocoa, rather it adds a huge amount of moisture and richness. I often don't like chocolate cake for not being chocolate-y enough, but this cake really hit the spot. I like cinnamon with chocolate, however I think I might drop it next time, as it does confuse the flavors a bit. Wonderful use of applesauce that was left over! Thanks for posting!
This was great. Very moist and tasty. Kids were a little put off by the cinnamon smell but loved it after they tasted it. I didn't have any nuts so used extra chocolate chips. I think walnuts or even peanuts would be really good. Took 40 minutes and maybe could have gone another 5.