Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
At last, an easy-to-make "scratch" cake recipe that does not need frosting! Recipe has been modified from one given to me by a friend years ago... 6/30/07 NOTE: This is not a standard chocolate cake recipe nor a spice cake recipe. The cocoa and chocolate chips help add to the "dark chocolaty" flavor and appearance but the applesauce and spices give it a unique flavor addition, producing a dark, moist cake with a different flavor with the added bonus of being a no-frost cake.
- Grease and flour a 13x 9" baking pan.
- In large mixing bowl, mix oil and 1 1/2 c sugar.
- Add beaten eggs, flour (no need to sift), cinnamon, salt, applesauce, baking soda and cocoa and mix until well-blended.
- Pour into pan and sprinkle with 1 1/2 T sugar, nuts (chopped walnuts or pecans) and 3/4 C chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350 dg. for 30-40 mins, until top springs back when touched, covering with foil if top gets too brown.
- Moist and delicious!
This recipe came out great. The applesauce doesn't really taste through the chocolate and cocoa, rather it adds a huge amount of moisture and richness. I often don't like chocolate cake for not being chocolate-y enough, but this cake really hit the spot. I like cinnamon with chocolate, however I think I might drop it next time, as it does confuse the flavors a bit. Wonderful use of applesauce that was left over! Thanks for posting!
This was great. Very moist and tasty. Kids were a little put off by the cinnamon smell but loved it after they tasted it. I didn't have any nuts so used extra chocolate chips. I think walnuts or even peanuts would be really good. Took 40 minutes and maybe could have gone another 5.
Fabulous, easy cake. Didn't have enough applesauce but mooshed up some apricots to fill in-- worked great! Highly recommend for pot lucks!