Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
AKA...peppermint crinkle cookies...from Bon Appetit. Time does not include time for dough to chill.
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup peppermint candy, finely crushed
- 6 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- peppermint candy, coarsely crushed
- powdered sugar
- Combine bittersweet chocolate, 1/2 cup butter and unsweetened chocolate in heavy large saucepan. Stir over low heat until chocolates melt and mixture is smooth. Remove pan from heat. Mix in finely crushed mints and 6 1/2 tablespoons sugar. Cool mixture to lukewarm, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Whisk eggs into chocolate mixture, 1 at a time, then whisk in vanilla extract. Whisk flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl to blend. Whisk flour mixture, then chocolate chips into chocolate mixture. Cover batter and chill until firm enough to shape, at least 3 hours and up to 1 day.
- Position rack in center of oven and presheat to 325 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Using 1 generous tablespoonful of each cookie, roll dough between moistened palms into 1 1/4 inch diameter balls, then arrange on prepared baking sheets, spacing 1 inch apart. Bake cookies, 1 sheet at a time, until puffed and cracked on top but still soft to touch in cnter, about 11 minutes. Press coarsely crushed peppermints onto tops of cookies and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Transfer to racks and cool completely.
- Can be made 1 week ahead. Store in airtight container between sheets of wax paper in refrigerator.