4 hrs 15 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
Raquel Grinnell's Note:
By Colleen Sowa on Just A Pinch Recipes.com.... genius! She not only candies the bacon first, but uses some of the drippings in the dough. I've altered a few ingredients slightly for my family's taste, subbing shortening for margerine, and semi-sweet chocolate chips for bittersweet. Prep time includes minimum cooling time.
My Private Note
dozen c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons bacon drippings (that have cooled and become solid)
- 4 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup pecans (chopped coarsely)
- 3 cups chocolate chips
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together in a bowl and set aside.
- 3Put the 1/2 cup brown sugar in a medium size bowl. Doing one strip of bacon at a time, put bacon in the bowl and totally coat with the brown sugar. Place the bacon flat on parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat until all are done. Any left over sugar can be sprinkled onto the bacon in the baking sheet. Bake for about 12 minutes. Turn each piece of bacon over and baste with the bacon grease. Return to the oven and bake an additional 12 minutes (or until the bacon is well cooked and crisp -- do not burn!). Remove from oven and set on rack to cool. Break up (or cut up) the bacon into small pieces the size of the chopped nuts and chocolate chips. Set aside until needed.
- 4In a large mixing bowl, cream together the bacon grease, shortening, butter and sugars. Add the eggs, vinegar and vanilla. Slowly add in the flour mixture, and mix just until you no longer see flour. Then fold in the bacon, nuts and chocolate chips. Refrigerate dough in covered bowl for 3 hours minimum (I do mine over night).
- 5Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 6Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 7Drop a tablespoon of cookie dough at a time onto the parchment paper. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes (depending on your oven). The cookies should be golden brown. Don't remove them from the pan right away, wait a couple of minutes first, then place cookies on a wire cooling rack. (If you don't have a wire cooling rack, place on a wax paper lined surface to cool completely).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Chip and Candied Bacon Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (29 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 72
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 136.5
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 13.5 mg
- Sodium 99.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 1.7 g