Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Barb loves it when I make this dish. It is a real switch from traditional chili. Serve with either corn bread or warm tortillas.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped up
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 can fat free chicken broth
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green peppers
- 1 large apple, cored and chopped but not peeled (such as Granny Smith)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 1 cup slivered almonds (better if toasted)
- fat free sour cream
- In a large stew pot or Dutch oven, saute turkey, garlic, and onions until meat is no longer pink.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, peppers, green peppers, apples, chili powder, cocoa, curry, and cinnamon.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add beans and almonds.
- Heat through.
- Dish up, and sprinkle raisins over it, then add a glob of sour cream on top.
This is not my favorite chili, but that is probably a personal taste preference. I would like a sweeter chili, my apples were granny smith, so rather tart. I wasn't terribly fond of the slight bitterness from the curry either. I did not know how much tomato sauce to use (what size can) so I used 2 cans of diced tomatoes instead. The chocolate made it smooth. I would also like to add a bit of salt.
I was making my own big pot of chili surfing through different recipes when I came across yours. I added the cocoa powder to mine and instead of an apple added 2 cups of applesauce as I am making much more than 4 servings. Fabulous additions. Thank you for the creative ideas!! :)