Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A great, no-beans, flavorful chili perfect with rice or cornbread. From the Official Chili Book.
- 2 lbs ground chuck (beef)
- 2 lbs ground pork
- 2 large bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup bacon drippings or 1⁄4 cup shortening, of your choice
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 cups water
- 2 ounces mexican chocolate, squares,grated (OR sweet chocolate mixed with a pinch of cinnamon and ginger)
- Melt bacon drippings or shortening in a large heavy pot.
- Brown meat.
- Add vegetables and cook over medium heat for ten minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer, uncovered for two hours.