1/1 Photo of Chocolate Chiffon Cake
This cake is from a wonderful pastry chef, Mary Bergin. It's very simple, and it's simply the finest chocolate cake anywhere. When I make chocolate cake, this is the recipe I use. I may vary the accompaniments, but the cake is the same.
My Private Note
ten inc ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2Lightly grease a 10" bundt pan.
- 3Sift together the 1 cup sugar, cake flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt twice.
- 4In a separate bowl, mix the yolks, oil, water and vanilla.
- 5Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- 6In the bowl of your mixer, whip the whites to soft peaks, then slowly add the last 1/2 cup sugar and whip to stiff peaks.
- 7Mix 1/3 of the whites into the chocolate base to lighten, the fold the remaining whites in gently until thoroughly incorporated.
- 8Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 30 minutes, or until the cake JUST begins to come away from the sides.
- 9Immediately remove from the oven and let cool, then turn out onto a plate.
- 10Notes: This cake needs no icing.
- 11I like to fill the center with lightly sweetened whipped cream and raspberries, OR, sift a little powdered sugar over top, slice and serve with whipped cream and hot fudge sauce, or whatever you can dream up.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Chiffon Cake
Serving Size: 1 (1010 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3199.2
- Calories from Fat 1211
- Total Fat 134.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.7 g
- Cholesterol 737.8 mg
- Sodium 2937.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 449.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.3 g
- Sugars 302.1 g
- Protein 55.6 g