This recipe is from Ingrid Hoffman and it's so delicious. The flavors just meld together in a perfect mole. The ingredient list is long, but it really is an easy recipe. I like to serve mine over rice with some flour tortillas on the side.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 chipotle pepper, with 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from can chopped (or more to taste)
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 cups canned chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat removed and shredded (or about 2 cups cooked chicken)
- 1Place a pot over medium heat and coat with the oil. Add the onion and garlic, stirring to soften for 5 minutes. Add the chipotle with adobo, raisins, and tomatoes, stirring to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- 2Carefully pour the mixture into a blender. Add the peanut butter, broth, chili powder, and cinnamon. Puree the mixture until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- 3Return the mixture to the pot over medium heat. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the chocolate and the shredded chicken. Heat through.
- 4Top with avocado, toasted sesame seeds, or chopped peanuts if desired.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Chicken Mole
Serving Size: 1 (275 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 544.7
- Calories from Fat 284
- Total Fat 31.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 85.0 mg
- Sodium 203.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 26.4 g
- Protein 29.6 g