Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is from Ingrid Hoffman and it's so delicious. The flavors just meld together in a perfect mole. The ingredient list is long, but it really is an easy recipe. I like to serve mine over rice with some flour tortillas on the side.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 chipotle pepper, with 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from can chopped (or more to taste)
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 cups canned chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat removed and shredded (or about 2 cups cooked chicken)
- Place a pot over medium heat and coat with the oil. Add the onion and garlic, stirring to soften for 5 minutes. Add the chipotle with adobo, raisins, and tomatoes, stirring to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Carefully pour the mixture into a blender. Add the peanut butter, broth, chili powder, and cinnamon. Puree the mixture until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Return the mixture to the pot over medium heat. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the chocolate and the shredded chicken. Heat through.
- Top with avocado, toasted sesame seeds, or chopped peanuts if desired.