Prep 0 mins
Cook 6 hrs
From Art of the Slow Cooker by Andrew Schloss
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons hot chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes
- 15 ounces white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, broken into pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a large deep skilletover medium high heat. Add chicken and saute until golden, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker.
- Add onion to the oil and saute until tender, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, oregano, thyme, chili powder, cinnamon, salt, pepper, and flour and stir until onion is evenly coated. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the broth and tomatoes and stir until liquid boils and thickens, add to the slow cooker. Add the beans, cover the slow cooker, and cook 3 to 4 hours on high, or 6 to 8 hours on low.
- Reduce the slow cooker to warm setting. Add chocolate and cilantro and stir until chocolate melts.