Prep 12 hrs
Cook 0 mins
These bars are truly delicious and healthy. I even shared them with my non-health nut friends and they thought they were great. Perfect for when you have a sweet tooth but don't want to go crazy. I got this great recipe from Vegetarian Times.
- 1 1⁄2 cups pitted dates
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I didn't have cocoa powder so I actually chopped up 1/4 cup of a dark chocolate bar, came out great)
- 1⁄4 cup chia seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup slivered almonds, raw
- Place dates in a food processor; puree until it forms a thick paste.
- Add cocoa powder, chia seeds, and vanilla extract. Pulse until all ingredients are combined.
- Add almonds; pulse until nuts are finely chopped and well distributed throughout.
- Spread large sheet of wax paper on work surface. Transfer date mixture to wax paper and use paper to press mixture into a 1/2" thick rectangle.
- Wrap tightly and chill overnight.
- Unwrap block and cut into 8 bars.
- Re-wrap each bar in wax paper.
I think that there may be something missing in this recipe. I made them and the mixture was too dry and crumbly. I added some things and they turned out fine, but can't help but think an ingredient (liquid) may be missing. Any and all suggestions would be welcomed as I'd like to try these again. Thanks, Enigma256.