Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
If you love the chocolate chewies that Safeway sells, then this recipe is for you! It's wheat free, and the only fat comes from nuts. I got this recipe from another website and have altered it slightly to make it more like the Safeway cookies. Next time I make this recipe, I'm going to try substituting walnuts for the pecans. Enjoy!
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees F; line cookie sheet(s) with parchment paper.
- Toast nuts until fragrant and brown. Cool.
- Beat egg whites one at at time, then continue beating while adding powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Add vanilla; beat 2 minutes on high speed.
- Fold in toasted pecans. Drop by heaping tablespoon on baking sheet 2-inches apart.
- Bake in the middle of the oven 15-18 minutes or until dry on surface but soft in the center when pressed. DON'T OVERBAKE. Cool. Store in an airtight container for 3 days, or freeze up to 1 month.