Recipe by AMC
If you love the chocolate chewies that Safeway sells, then this recipe is for you! It's wheat free, and the only fat comes from nuts. I got this recipe from another website and have altered it slightly to make it more like the Safeway cookies. Next time I make this recipe, I'm going to try substituting walnuts for the pecans. Enjoy!
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 3 large egg whites (do not use egg substitutes)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons ground-up pecans
- 1 pinch salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees F; line cookie sheet(s) with parchment paper.
- Toast nuts until fragrant and brown. Cool.
- Beat egg whites one at at time, then continue beating while adding powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Add vanilla; beat 2 minutes on high speed.
- Fold in toasted pecans. Drop by heaping tablespoon on baking sheet 2-inches apart.
- Bake in the middle of the oven 15-18 minutes or until dry on surface but soft in the center when pressed. DON'T OVERBAKE. Cool. Store in an airtight container for 3 days, or freeze up to 1 month.