Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Martha Stewart - This stunning dessert is a simple-to-make icebox cake. Chocolate shavings are easily made with a vegetable peeler.
- vegetable oil, for pan
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) jarpeeled roasted chestnuts
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup plus 1 tablespoon light-brown sugar
- 1 pinch coarse salt
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and slightly cooled, plus more for shavings (preferably 61 percent cacao)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold heavy cream
- 24 chocolate wafer cookies (from 1 package)
- Lightly coat an 8-inch round cake pan with oil, and line with plastic, leaving a 4-inch overhang.
- Finely grind chestnuts in a food processor. Heat ground chestnuts, milk, 3 tablespoons sugar, and the salt in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until bubbles form at edge.
- Whisk together yolks, cornstarch, and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in a medium heatproof bowl.
- Slowly add hot chestnut mixture to yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Return to pan; cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until thick, about 2 minutes. Transfer to the bowl of a mixer. Add vanilla and butter. Beat on medium speed until cool, about 5 minutes. Stir half the chestnut mixture into melted chocolate.
- Beat 1 1/4 cups cream until soft peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold half the whipped cream into plain chestnut mixture and the other half into chocolate-chestnut mixture.
- Pour chestnut mousse into prepared pan. Cover with 12 chocolate wafers, working in a circular pattern. Top with chocolate-chestnut mousse and remaining 12 chocolate wafers. Fold plastic overhang over top to cover cake. Refrigerate overnight.
- Uncover cake; place a platter on top, flip, and unmold. Remove plastic. Beat remaining 1/4 cup cream until soft peaks form. Spread on top of cake. Garnish with chocolate shavings.