Recipe by Olha
This is an unusual coffeecake, with surprising and subtle shades of chestnut and chocolate. Everyone will ask what is different about this cake, but hardly anyone will guess this marvelous combination.
FOR THE CAKE
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup canned sweetened chestnut puree
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 1⁄2 cup miniature chocolate chip
CHESTNUT CREAM GLAZE
- 1⁄2 cup sifted powdered sugar (sometimes called icing or confectioners')
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 1 tablespoon canned sweetened chestnut puree
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR THE CAKE: Beat together first 6 ingredients. Beat in the melted chocolate. Combine and add the remaining ingredients and beat until blended. Do not overmix.
- Spread batter into a buttered and floured 9-inch kugelhopf pan and bake in a 350°F oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a cake tester, inserted in center, comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for 15 minutes, and then invert and continue cooling on a rack.
- When cool, drizzle top decorative.
- FOR CHESTNUT CREAM GLAZE: Stir together sugar, cream and vanilla until blended. Stir in hazelnuts and chestnut puree until blended.
- NOTE: -- This can be baked in a 9-inch tube pan, but the kugelhopf pan is far more attractive for this cake.
- Hazelnuts can be toasted in a 350°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until skins have loosened. Place between kitchen towels and rub to remove skins.
- Easiest & Best! Coffee Cakes and Quick Breads.