Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A rich and delicious dessert. Even got a thumbs up from my father-in-law on this recipe. Adapted from a Holly Berkowitz Clegg cookbook.
- 1 (18 ounce) box light devils food cake mix
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon water
- 8 ounces light cream cheese
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat a 13 x 9 pan with cooking spray.
- Combine cake mix, egg, butter, and water by hand.
- Now, pat the batter mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and egg whites until smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract. Pour mixture over batter.
- Bake 45 minutes or until top is golden, cool and cut into squares.
These turned out great! Make sure u watch them tho because they only took 30 mins in my oven. I didnt have any vanilla flavoring so i omitted it and they were perfect without it. Not sure what the vanilla does for it but dont think they need it
I made these for my boyfriend and he could not stop raving. This is a mostly southern traditional dessert, and they are unheard of up here. He brought them into his office for his staff :-)
Disappointing. After reading all of the previous positive reviews, I had high hopes for these bars. I followed the recipe exactly...the chocolate layer was dry and the cream cheese layer was too souffle-like for my liking. :(