Prep 5 mins
Cook 55 mins
I got this out of a Moravian church cookbook ... if I've found one thing living in NC, Moravians are good cooks. It is very simple to make and ... well ... delicious.
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl. Mix the wet ingredients together in another bowl until well blended. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour this into the pie shell and bake at 325F for about 55-60 minutes.
- NOTE: I generally use a deep dish as this will puff up, but it should fit nicely into a regular pie shell.
- NOTE II: Although this pie is delicious warm, I think it is even better chilled.
- NOTE III: I have used 3/4 cup sugar and 3/4 cup Splenda with success.