1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 5 mins
Slightly warm, the pie is runny and sensuous. Chilled, it has the texture of gooey caramel.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (9 inch) partially baked flaky pie pastry
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons fine yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup whole milk or 1/4 cup light cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1Place the butter in the top of a double boiler; place over barely simmering water.
- 2Scatter the chocolate around the butter.
- 3Let the butter and chocolate stand for about 5 minutes, until melted, stirring once or twice once the melting is underway.
- 4Remove the top insert; whisk the mixture until smooth and set aside to cool briefly; whisk the mixture again until smooth.
- 5In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, cornmeal, and salt, tossing with your hands to mix.
- 6Add in the eggs, egg yolk, milk, and vanilla; whisk until well mixed.
- 7Pour the chocolate mixture into the bowl; whisk briefly until smooth.
- 8Pour filling into cooled pie shell.
- 9Place pie on the center oven rack in a 325° oven; bake 35-40 minutes, then rotate the pie 180°, so the part that faced the back of the oven now faces the front of the oven.
- 10Continue to bake about 20-25 more minutes or until the pie develops a uniformly thin upper crust.
- 11The entire top of the pie may puff up as a single piece, unlike many other egg-based pies, where just the edge alone will rise up.
- 12Place pie on a wire rack; let cool at least 1 1/2 hours.
- 13Serve slightly warm or at room temperature or cover loosely with foil, refrigerate, and serve cold.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Chess Pie
Serving Size: 1 (153 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 511.7
- Calories from Fat 260
- Total Fat 28.9 g
- Saturated Fat 13.4 g
- Cholesterol 182.4 mg
- Sodium 296.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 42.5 g
- Protein 6.1 g