Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a traditional way of making chess pie. Every good southern cook knows you have to add some cornmeal. To be honest, I don't really know why but that's how my mother did it so I will too.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Combine sugar, cornmeal, cocoa, flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir to mix.
- Add eggs, milk, vanilla, and butter.
- Stir until smooth.
- Blend in pecans.
- Pour filling into unbaked crust.
- Place in oven and bake for l hour or until filling is set and crust is golden.
- If crust begins to brown too fast, lower oven to 325F and place a ring of foil over the crust.
This was very simple to make and delicious. Thanks for sharing a great recipe.
My Niece Loves this pie. She asks for it when ever she is home from School. Her rating for this pie is 6 stars.