Prep 24 hrs
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
My mom's birthday cake this year was a double chocolate sour cream cheesecake with a pureed cherry swirl. Rather than a crumb crust base, I baked a chocolate and port-soaked cherry cookie, which provided a bit more sturdiness when serving. For presentation, I ringed the bottom with dark Belgian chocolate wafers and topped the whole lot off with chocolate covered cherries!
- 1⁄4 cup dried cherries
- 1⁄4 cup port wine (or cherry juice)
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups barley or 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 14 ounces chopped best-quality bittersweet chocolate
- 4 ounces chopped unsweetened chocolate
- 1 (10 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 24 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 4 ounces silken tofu
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup cherry pie filling, pureed until smooth
- Combine cherries and port in a small bowl. Let stand at least 30 minutes (do not drain).
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening, salt, egg, vanilla and sugar until fluffy.
- Sift in flour and cocoa, mixing until incorporated.
- Fold in cherries and liquid. The dough should resemble a chocolate chip cookie.
- Spread dough into the bottom of a greased and parchment-lined 10” spring-form pan and freeze 1 hour.
- Bake at 400 °F for 20 minutes or until just firm. Set aside to cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F and wrap the outside of the spring-form pan with foil.
- Melt together the chocolates and condensed milk. Cool slightly.
- In a food processor, puree cream cheese, sour cream, eggs, tofu and salt until smooth. Add chocolate and beat until combined.
- Pour mixture onto prepared crust.
- Spoon dollops of pureed pie filling onto the cheese mixture and swirl lightly with a knife.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 1 hour or until filling is set.
- Refrigerate, covered, at least 8 hours or overnight.