Recipe by HeatherFeather
A very pretty holiday cookie - a ring of chocolate with a pink filling and a cherry in the center. Plan ahead -these need an hour of chilling time. I use Ghirardelli brand cocoa powder, which I think makes these extra rich.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 ounces neufchatel cheese or 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons maraschino cherries, drained and finely chopped
- 24 maraschino cherries, cut into halves, well drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Using an electric mixer, beat together butter and the granulated sugar until well blended.
- Add cocoa powder and beat until combined.
- Add egg and beat until mixed well.
- Add half of the flour and mix just until combined.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in the remaining flour until well blended (do not use mixer at this point or you will toughen the dough).
- Cover and chill at least 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
- Fold in the chopped cherries; set aside.
- Form chilled cookie dough into 48 balls (1 inch in diameter each).
- Place about 2" apart on ungreased cookie sheets, then gently press each ball with your thumb to make a dent.
- Fill each dent with 1 tsp of the filling, then top each with a cherry half, cut side down.
- Bake in a preheated 375°F for 10-12 minutes or until filling is set.
- Let cool 1 minute on pans, then remove to racks to cool completely.
- These must be stored in the refrigerator, but you may bring them to room temperature to serve; these freeze well.