Recipe by Nana Lee
Sweet and tender cookies with milk chocolate and maraschino cherry centers. These are a variant on my original Chocolate Covered Surprise Cookies #133833. The same method used to form this variant could be used with the Chocolate cookie dough for double the chocolate taste!
- 2⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 25 maraschino cherries, patted dry
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips, plus
- 25 more milk chocolate chips, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add flour, cherry juice and vanilla; mix well.
- Cover; refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Stuff each cherry with 1 of the chocolate morsels; wrap in 1 tablespoon of dough, completely covering cherry with dough.
- Roll each into ball.
- Place, 2 inches apart, on ungreased baking sheet.
- Reserve remaining chocolate morsels for later use.
- Bake 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Remove from baking sheet to wire rack; cool 30 minutes.
- Melt remaining 1 cup chocolate morsels in top of double boiler over low heat. (Or, place in small microwavable bowl; microwave on HIGH 45 seconds.
- Stir until chocolate is completely melted.) Dip tops of cookies into melted chocolate.
- Return to wire rack; let stand until chocolate is set, about 1 hour.
- Store in single layer in airtight container at room temperature.