Prep 1 hr
Cook 8 mins
Very showy cookies will be a welcome addition to your holiday cookie trays. Kids love to help pat this cookie dough into the pan. From Land O Lakes.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted,cooled
- 1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry, well-drained,chopped
- 1⁄3 cup chopped pistachio nuts or 1⁄3 cup pecans
- Combine sugar and butter in large mixer bowl.
- Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy.
- Add egg, milk and vanilla; continue beating until well mixed.
- Reduce speed to low and add flour and baking powder.
- Mix well.
- Divide dough in half.
- Knead melted chocolate into one half.
- Knead cherries and nuts into remaining half.
- Line 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with plastic food wrap, extending wrap over ends.
- Divide each dough in half.
- Evenly press half of chocolate dough into pan.
- Evenly press half of cherry dough on top of chocolate.
- Repeat layers of chocolate and cherry doughs.
- Use plastic wrap to remove from pan; wrap dough.
- Refrigerate until firm (2 hours or overnight).
- Heat oven to 375° F.
- Cut into 1/4-inch slices; cut each slice into thirds (cut across the short way).
- Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
This was so much easier than I thought and DH and I both thought they had a nice taste. I used pecans and thought a few more wouldn't hurt (same with the cherries). I got 74 cookies from the batch. Next time DH and I thought we might try dipping part of each cookie in some melted chocolate to coat just to add some decadence. Thanks for a nice recipe.