Recipe by PaulaG
This is a sinfully, rich cake. It can be made in less than an hour and served a short time later. I used frozen sour cherries, thawed and dried them lightly. The cooking time incldues the baking and cooling of cake before glazing. Hope you enjoy.
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup rye flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup tart red cherries, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 dash salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup of diced sour cherry
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Thoroughly cream the butter and sugar; add eggs and honey mixing well.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, cocoa, soda and spices; add the egg mixture and buttermilk mixing until well blended.
- Fold in the 1 cup of tart red cherries and pour the batter into a 9 x 9 inch square baking pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool about 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the butter, cocoa, instant coffee and salt together; gradually add powdered sugar alternating with milk.
- Stir in vanilla and diced cherries and pour over cake.
- Allow to sit about 30 minutes before serving.