Recipe by Rhonda *J*
Doesn't this name just say it all!!!! Found this recipe in a Good Housekeeping Magazine,submitted by Betty Noel. If you like sinfully rich & indulgent once in awhile i would say this is for you!!(The two hour cook time is for chill time)
- 1 (12 ounce) package semisweet chocolate pieces (2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) packages vanilla flavor instant pudding and pie filling mix
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy small saucepan over low heat, heat 1/2 cup of the chocolate pieces with shortening until melted& smooth,stirring frequently.
- Pour melted chocolate mixture into foil lined 10 ounce custard cup to make chocolate curls later.
- Cover& refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In medium bowl, mix flour and sugar.
- With pastry blender (or two knives usedscissor fashion) cut in margarine until mixture is crumbly.
- Stir in coconut& walnuts.
- Press crumb mixture evenly onto bottom of a 9x13 metal baking pan.
- Bake 12-15 mins.
- until crust is a light golden brown.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- In large bowl,using mixer at low speed,beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth;fold in 1 cup of the whipped topping.
- Spread over cooled crust in pan;top with cherry pie filling.
- Cover& refrigerate.
- In same heavy small saucepan over low heat,heat remaining chocolate pieces,stirringfrequently,until melted& smooth.
- Set aside to cool.
- In large bowl,using wire wisk,beat both packages of pudding with milk until thickened, about 2 mins;beat in melted chocolate.
- Carefully spread chocolate pudding mixture over cherry pie filling;chill at least 2 hours or until set.
- At serving time,spread with remaining whipped topping.
- Peel off foil from molded chocolate in custard cup.
- With a vegetable peeler,shave chocolate to form curls;sprinkle over top of dessert.