Prep 35 mins
Cook 55 mins
From Rachael Ray.
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 (10 ounce) bagsfrozen pitted cherries, thawed, 1 bag drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 3 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Grease a 5-by-9-inch loaf pan. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the whole cherries and the sugar. Using a potato masher, crush the cherries. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool. Whisk in the sour cream and eggs. Stir in the flour mixture.
- Fold the chopped cherries into the batter. Gradually stir in the butter. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, then bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
Gotta add vanilla and almond extract.
This is a super moist bread. . .that's for sure! With all the cherries in the bread, I was slightly disappointed that there wasn't more flavor in the bread. Next time, I am going to add some dried tart cherries and some chocolate chips to see if that fixes it! UPDATE: I just made this again and tried adding 1/4 cup tart dried cherries and 1/4 cup chocolate chips. While the dried cherries did help with the cherry flavor, my review at a 4 stands true. Made for photo tag. Thanks Boomie!!
As with Sam, I doubled this recipe right off (after all chocolate & cherries together!) & now that the 2nd one is frozen, I'm on the lookout for a great cherry sauce that I can serve with it! Very easy to make, & OUTSTANDING TASTE, too! Definitely a keeper here! [Tagged, made & reviewed in 1-2-3 Hit Wonders tag]