Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Family Circle Magazine.
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar (not a misprint)
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour, all purpose
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 3 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat three 5 3/4 by 2 1/8 inch loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk cocoa powder, 1/3 cup of sugar, and 1/3 cup water until smooth, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining 3/4 sugar, eggs, oil, and almond extract. Whisk in sour cream.
- Stir sour cream mixture into flour mixture until blended. Stir 1-1/2 cups of the batter into the cocoa mixture, along with the chopped cherries, until no white remains.
- Dollop alternating spoonfuls of batter into prepared pans. Swirl batters together with a butter knife until marbled in appearance.
- Top each loaf with 1 tablespoon of chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes, until toothpick inserted in to center of loaf comes out clean.
- Cool loaves in pan for 10 minutes, then remove directly to rack to cool completely.
- NOTE: This can be baked as on 9 by 5 by 3 inch loaf; increase baking time to 45 to 50 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.