Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
The taste-tempting flavors of hot fudge and sweetened cream cheese pair with cherries in this delectable heart-shaped dessert. Perfect for Valentine's Day, Anniversary or another special occasion.
- 1 (15 ounce) packagerefrigerated 9-inch pie shells
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2⁄3 cup hot fudge topping
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Allow both crust pouches to stand at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove one crust from a pouch and unfold. Press to smooth the fold lines.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of flour over the crust. Lay the crust, floured side down, on an ungreased baking sheet. Using a paper pattern as a guide, cut the crust into a heart shape. Prick the crust all over with a fork.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let cool.
- Repeat with the remaining crust so that you have 2 heart-shaped crusts.
- Combine the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and almond extract and beat in an electric mixer set on medium speed for 3 to 4 minutes, or until smooth.
- Add the heavy cream and beat until thick.
- To assemble, place one heart-shaped pie crust on a serving plate and spread with 1/3 cup hot fudge.
- Carefully spread half of the cream cheese mixture over the hot fudge. Spoon two thirds of the cherry pie filling over cream cheese.
- Spread second crust with remaining hot fudge and set on top of the cake, fudge side up.
- Then gently spread the remaining cream cheese mixture and cherry pie filling, leaving about a 1-inch border on the top.
- Decorate with cream cheese mixed with cherry juice or the liquidy (jelled) part of pie filling and whole or half cherries.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
- Note: To make pattern, cut a piece of paper into a heart shape about 10 1/2 inches high and 10 inches wide.
- Source: FamilyTime.