Prep 12 mins
Cook 18 mins
Crunchy, chewy, healthy, and portable for on the go! As an added bonus - minimal sugar and free of nuts and artificial dyes and can be easily adapted with other fruits, nuts, and flavors. This is a staple for my nut-free, artificial color-free daughter!
- 2 1⁄2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces applesauce
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1⁄3 cup dried cherries
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°F
- 2. Lightly grease mini-muffin/tartlet pans (one 12 mini-muffin pan and one 6 mini-muffin pan).
- 3. In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients (oats, flour, baking soda, flaxseed).
- 4. Stir in wet ingredients (applesauce, honey, vanilla, water).
- 5. Fold in dried cherries and chocolate chunks to taste.
- 6. Lightly press mixture into the mini-muffin pans.
- 7. Bake at 325 F for 18 minutes, or until slightly browned.
- 8. Makes 18 bites.