Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
These cookies are very soft and tasty. They're more of a Christmas cookie, but can be served all year 'round.
- 2 (56.69 g) envelope powdered cocoa mix (with or without marshmallows)
- 29.58 ml water
- 532.32 ml all-purpose flour
- 59.14 ml unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml salt
- 236.59 ml butter
- 236.59 ml granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 24 maraschino cherries (red or green)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, stir together hot cocoa mix and water.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, add butter, sugar and egg.
- Combine thoroughly, and add this mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Beat on high until thoroughly combined.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto a lightly greased cookie sheet about 2-inch apart.
- Press a cherry into each cookie.
- Bake in oven for 12-14 minutes.
- Cookies may seem soft when taken out, but they will firm up as they cool.
I tried these and personally did not care for the mixture of cinnamon and chocolate, so some people might want to take note of that. My daughter had fun making them with me and they don't taste that bad....I would not make them again though.
I saw this recipe and thought of Rudolph the Red nosed reindeer. It's the cutest thing ever. I haven't tried them yet but I will have to closer to Christmas.
The description of these cookies is right on - soft & tasty. I really enjoy the burst of flavour that comes from the whole cherry in the centre! Next time I make these I am going to change the method a little: I'm going to add the water to the butter mixture. When I added the water to the cocoa mix, it created a very thick paste & it was impossible to add the other dry ingredients evenly. Once the butter mixture was added, it took a long time to get everything thoroughly mixed.