From Prevention magazine, January 2012 issue via the Detroit Free Press. Chocolatey, tart and yummy. I used the best chocolate and cocoa powder possible, and would double the frosting (or even just 1 1/2 times) recipe (last three ingredients). I used an ice cream scoop to portion the batter and got 19 nice sized cupcakes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, broken (60% cocoa)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 vanilla beans, split
- 1 (8 ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, plus 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Line 2 muffin pans with 16 paper liners.
- 3In a small saucepan, combine cherries with water. Bring to a boil. Transfer mixture (cherries and water) to a food processor. Add cocoa, chocolate and butter, and pulse until combined. Cool 1 minute. Add brown sugar, vanilla extract and a pinch of salt, and puree until almost smooth.
- 4Pulse in eggs until well combined. Whisk together flour and baking soda in a bowl and add to food processor. Pulse until just combined.
- 5Divide batter evenly among pans. Bake in upper and lower thirds of oven until tops are slightly domed and firm to the touch, 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool cupcakes in pans on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on rack.
- 6Scrape vanilla bean seeds into bowl. Add cream cheese and confectioners' sugar and beat well. Pipe or spread frosting on to cupcakes.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes With Vanilla Bean Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (1187 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2241.6
- Calories from Fat 801
- Total Fat 89.1 g
- Saturated Fat 48.5 g
- Cholesterol 927.5 mg
- Sodium 2840.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 339.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 30.2 g
- Sugars 234.9 g
- Protein 66.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: