Recipe by Karen From Colorado
A hidden cherry under the chocolate makes a sweet surprise when you bite into these wonderful chocolate cookies.
Top Review by Luby Luby Luby
A very close family friend shared this recipe with me a few years ago. I include these in my gift boxes of "goodies" that I give at Christmas. They are a delicious, soft and fudgy cookie with a delightful cherry inside. If you are a cherry fan I think you will be pleased with this one.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 48 undrained maraschino cherries (reserve 4 tsp cherry juice)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate piece
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened condensed milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour and cocoa; set aside.
- Beat butter in a med bowl on med speed until softened.
- Add sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Beat until well mixed.
- Beat in egg and vanilla, scraping the side of the bowl.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls.
- Place 2-inches apart on an ungreased cooking sheet.
- Press down the centers with your thumb.
- Drain cherries, reserving juice.
- Place a cherry in the center of each cookie in the depression you made with your thumb.
- Combine chocolate pieces and condensed milk in a small saucepan.
- Cook and stir over low heat until the chocolate is melted.
- Stir in 4 teaspoons of the reserved cherry juice.
- Spoon about 1 teaspoon of the chocolate and milk mixture over each cherry, spreading to cover cherry.
- If the frosting is too thick, thin with additional cherry juice.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for about 10 minutes or until edges of cookie is firm.
- Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute.
- Transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.