Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe is from the November/December 2005 edition of "Taste of Home's 'Quick Cooking'" Magazine. It is set up to be given as a gift; if you do not wish to give as one then just omit the steps that deal with putting mix and marshmallows in decorating bags and instead put in an airtight glass jar. Also cherry soft drink mix can be made optional according to your own personal taste. Enjoy!
DRY MIX INGREDIENTS
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups non-dairy coffee creamer
- 1 1⁄3 cups instant coffee granules
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelopecherry unsweetened flavored drink mix
- 6 cups miniature marshmallows, divided
- 6 teaspoons holiday candy sprinkles, divided
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each serving)
- 1 cup hot milk
- Combine the first six ingredients.
- Place 1 cup mix in a 12-in. disposable decorating bag.
- Fold corners of bag into the center and roll bag down; secure with transparent tape.
- Place bag in a second disposable decorating bag.
- Top with 1 cup of marshmallows and 1 teaspoon of sprinkles.
- Gather and twist the top of the bag.
- Tie with ribbon.
- Repeat to make five more gift bags.
- Store in a cool dry place for up to 2 months.
- To prepare coffee: In a mug, dissolve 2 heaping tablespoons mix in hot milk; stir well. Top with marshmallows and sprinkles. Yield: 1 serving.
- NOTE: Servings are based on the entire yield of recipe before dividing mix into bags; this is for the sake of accurate information when calculating the nutrition facts. The number of servings per bag is 8. Also: cherry soft drink mix should be the size of a standard packet of Kool-Aid; 0.23 ounces was the average size of the ones I found in my cupboard; however, there were other sizes as well.
This is pretty good-like a grown up hot chocolate. I thought that there would be a more pronounced cherry/chocolate flavor. I would have liked it much more. I took this to work and several people have tried it and really, really liked it. I'm keeping it and using it.
I mixed this up to take camping with us. It has a really nice flavor. Great to keep on hand.