Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I made these in one of the classes I took at the Institute of Culinary Education. These are wonderfully light and full of flavor. Not too indulgent for those of us wanting to watch our calorie intake.
- 4 large egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup dried tart cherry, chopped
- 3 ounces cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper. (this will be either to pipe cookies onto or you can draw circles for the "layers" and then turn the parchment over).
- Place egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until soft peaks form. Increase speed to high, and gradually add sugar, a little at a time, beathing until stiff peaks form. Add extract; beat just until blended. Fold in cherries and powder. Fill a bag and with star tip pipe either kisses or whatever shape you want.
- Bake at 200 degrees for an hour to an hour and a half (longer for bigger shapes). Turn oven off, and cool meringue in closed oven 1 1/2 hours or until dry. Carefully remove meringue from paper.