Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A little creation I came up with. My boyfriend wanted chocolate ice cream, but I wanted something a little more interesting so I added the cherries and chocolate chunks. I have a Cuisinart electric ice cream maker and it takes about 25 minutes to freeze ice cream. This is best made the night before you make it as it is quite soft right after making.
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 10 ounces maraschino cherries, drained well and halved
- 1 3⁄4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- Chop bittersweet chocolate and place in blender with sugar.
- Pulse to process the sugar with the chocolate until the chocolate is very finely chopped.
- Heat 1 cup half-and-half till until bubbling around the edges.
- Add the hot half-and-half to blender and process until well blended and smooth.
- Transfer chocolate mixture to medium bowl and let cool completely.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 cup half-and-half, heavy cream and vanilla.
- Chill mixture for at least 30 minutes.
- Freeze mixture according to your ice cream maker directions adding cherries and chopped chocolate bar in last few minutes.