3 hrs 1 min
In these charlottes, pieces of buttered Challah bread are transformed into delicate containers for a cherry and chocolate filling. You might wonder why you need to freeze the chocolate filling before baking them. The coldness prevents the chocolate from overcooking in the oven.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring cherries, kirsch, and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring occasionally.
- 2Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 15 minutes.
- 3Stir in almond extract.
- 4Heat cream, chocolate, and a pinch of salt in another small heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring, until chocolate is melted and smooth, about 3 minutes.
- 5REmove from heat and add 1 TBS butter, stirring until incorporated, then stir in cooked cherries with any liquid.
- 6Transfer to a metal bowl and freeze, stirring occasionally, until firm, but not frozen solid, about 2 hours.
- 7Preheat oven to 350*F.
- 8Cut out 12, 2 inch rounds from bread slices with a cookie cutter,then cut 42 (2 by 1 1/2 inch) rectangles from trimmings and remaining slices.
- 9Spread 1 side of each round and rectangle with some of the remaining butter.
- 10Put 6 rounds, buttered sides down, into 6 (5 to 6 oz) charlotte molds, or ramekins, and line sides with rectangles (5 to 7 per mold), buttered sides against mold, arranging them vertically and slightly overlapping, pressing gently to adhere.
- 11Trim any overhang flush with rims.
- 12Divide filling among molds and top with 6 remaining bread rounds, buttered sides up, pressing gently to fit inside bread rim.
- 13Bake charlottes in molds on a baking sheet in middle of oven until bread is golden, about 25 minutes.
- 14Cool 5 minutes, then invert plates over charlottes and invert onto plates.
- 15Serve warm with lightly sweetened whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Cherry Charlottes
Serving Size: 1 (170 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 524.7
- Calories from Fat 248
- Total Fat 27.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.8 g
- Cholesterol 120.6 mg
- Sodium 567.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 11.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried sour cherries