Recipe by LizCl
A moist and sweet cake that starts with a pie filling and a cake mix and add a smooth and creamy frosting.
- 1 (18 ounce) package chocolate cake mix
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine the wet ingredients,( just use the liquid from the pie filling) and add water and oil. to those ingredients.
- Then mix in cake mix. Beat at low speed for 1 minute; then beat at 1 minute on medium speed.
- Fold in cherries.
- Pour into 9 X 13 inch greased and floured cake pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until cake is set.
- While cake is in the oven, combine sugar, brown sugar, butter and milk in a large saucepan.
- Bring to boil, then boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add chocolate chips and vanilla.
- Stir with a wire whisk until chips are melted and frosting is smooth.
- Pour over warm cake and spread to cover.
- Cool on wire rack before serving.