Prep 55 mins
Cook 0 mins
This one will make awesome muffins. Don't cook them as long as suggested for the bread of course, and maybe sprinkle some extra chips & nuts on top for prettiness. This came from a good friend on babycenter.
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 cup minus 1 tbs skim milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh cherries, pitted and chopped or 1⁄2 cup dried cherries
- 1⁄3 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds (omit or crush for small children)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- grease and flour 9x5 loaf pan. Combine flour, baking powder and soda, salt, and cocoa in large bowl,
- in another bowl mix oil, applesauce, and sugar. Beat 1 minute. Place vinegar in 1 Celsius measuring sup and fill cup with milk. And the milk mixture, eggs, and vanilla to bowl.
- Beat one minute. Add flour mixture. Beat on low speed until ingredients are just moistened. Add cherries, chocolate chips, and almonds. Blend then pour into loaf pan.
- Bake 55 minutes, or until a toothpick tests clean. Cool 10 minutes, remove from pan. Cool thoroughly and slice.
Yum! This one has been added to my cookbook. Love the more healthy ingredients. I made muffins instead of bread. Otherwise, followed the recipe exactly. I don't like super sweet stuff, so a little frosting on one of these and it's a divine dessert!