Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
these are the best..you must give them a try...you can use dried cranberrries if dried cherries are either not available or too expensive in your community...but you must use the Kirsch...that is a must..!!!
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 2 tablespoons kirsch
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large beaten eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchments.
- Sprinkle the Kirsch over the cherries set aside.
- In mixer beat the eggs and sugar with the vanilla, for at least three minutes, until pale in colour and thick.
- Sift all dry ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients, the cherries with liquid and combine to make a stiff dough.
- Divide dough in half.
- This is where to wet your hands.
- Shape each piece of dough into 12 inch logs by 2 inches wide.
- flatten slightly.
- Leave at least four inches between the two logs.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- The logs at this time should be firm and show signs of cracks on top.
- Remove, and place on wire rack to cool 10 minutes.
- When cooled cut into 1/2 inch slices.
- Place back onto parchment cut side down.
- Return to oven bake another 8 minutes.
- Turn each slice over and bake 7 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on wire rack.
- Cool completely before storing in airtight container.