Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Chocolate and cherries. Yummy!
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons butter or 5 tablespoons margarine
- 1 (6 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips (1 cup)
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Grease and flour 13x9-inch pan.
- In large bowl, combine cake mix, pie filling almond extract and eggs; stir until blended.
- Spread in greased and floured pan.
- Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- In small saucepan, combine sugar, milk and margarine.
- Bring to a boil; boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; stir in chocolate chips until smooth.
- Pour and spread over warm bars.
- Cool completely and cut into bars.
a fantastic cake.
I have this exact same recipe, and have made it many times. People always rave, and I often get asked the recipe. It's perfect if you need to take a dessert somewhere, as it's so easy to throw together. One of my husbands favorite's!!
Because of the name Chocolate Cherry "Bars", I assumed this would be more like a brownie. Actually, it is a cake. I made it for a Valentine's Day Luncheon and it is super--especially love the frosting, which is a yummy chocolate glaze. This comes together in a snap and uses common ingredients. I plan to keep a devil's food cake mix and can of cherries on hand from now on so I can throw one of these together quickly if I need to!