Prep 12 hrs
Cook 10 mins
This is something I've been experimenting with lately, and it just keeps getting better and better. I think I finally have it down pat. Chocolate, cherries, almonds, what an amazing flavor combo. This is my new hit for the summer! Prep time includes freezing time.
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 cups light cream, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 2⁄3 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped maraschino cherry, drained
- 1 cup coarsely chopped almonds, toasted
- To toast the almonds, heat the oven to 350°F.
- Spread the almonds in a thin layer in a shallow baking pan.
- Bake 5 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until light golden brown.
- Cool before using.
- Beat egg yolks and 2 cups cream in a large bowl on low to medium speed of mixer, the set aside.
- Stir together sugar and cocoa in a large saucepan.
- Gradually stir in the egg yolk mixture.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is very hot.
- DO NOT BOIL!
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Stir the remaining 4 cups cream, almond extract and vanilla into the chocolate mixture, blending well.
- Cover and refrigerate mixture at least 6 hours.
- Pour the chocolate mixture in your ice cream maker or a suitable piece of Tupperware.
- Immediately fold in cherries and almonds.
- Freeze for several hours or overnight.
This is really yummy and has a wonderful combo of ingredients! I made this for a 7 yr old today and she licked the bowl clean! Thank you for posting :-)