Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is from the Old Iron Inn Bed & Breakfast. It's great for all you chocoholics!
- 236.59 ml flour
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 59.14 ml cocoa powder
- 118.29 ml milk
- 1 egg
- 59.14 ml oil
- 4.92 ml almond extract
- 113.39 g cream cheese, softened
- 59.14 ml powdered sugar
- 0.13 ml almond extract
- 14.79 ml cornstarch
- Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and cocoa powder in large bowl, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF; grease muffin tins.
- In small bowl, make filling: beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar, almond extract and cornstarch until uniformly fluffy - set aside.
- In separate bowl, beat together milk, egg, oil and extract.
- Add milk mix to flour mix. Mix just until you no longer see any dry bits in the batter.
- Fill the bottoms of muffin cups with approximately 2 Tablespoons batter (about 1/3 full). Dab a spoonful of cream cheese filling in middle of each muffin cup, making sure filling isn't touching any of the sides. Cover up cream cheese with rest of batter, filling muffin cups until they are 3/4 full. Work as quickly as you can, so cream cheese doesn't sink to bottom.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
These are delicious. The cheese filling came out a bit more solid than I would have liked, so next time I'll use a bit less cornstarch. I used vanilla instead of almond flavouring as that's what I had in the cupboard, but I bought almond essence today to make them again. Easy and quick to make too.
Ok, these did not have a rich chocolate flavor at all. The cheesecake part was dry, most likely from the added cornstarch. The little kids liked these, but the adults and older kids did not. I might try these again, omitting the cornstarch..BUT true cheesecake has eggs in it. Also, used vanilla instead of almond, due to allergy.
I used vanilla instead of almond extract, cause that's what I had on hand. I couldn't wait for these to come out of the oven so I could have one with my morning coffee. Talk about decadence first thing in the morning! Yum Yum!