Elegant and beautiful dessert for your next dinner party or holiday meal. Prep time includes 4 hours of chill time.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 celsius).
- Place one cup of the sugar in a small heavy duty saucepan and cook on medium heat until the sugar is a deep golden brown, stirring constantly to make a caramel sauce; pour into a 9 inch round pan.
- Microwave chocolate squares on high for 1 1/2 minutes or until chocolate is almost melted, stirring after 1 minute; cool.
- Place milk and cream cheese in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, eggs and melted chocolate to the mix in the blender and blend well.
- Pour over caramel sauce in the pan.
- Bake flan in water bath. (Create water bath by setting the round pan of flan into a larger pan and adding water around the smaller pan to half way up the side of the flan pan.).
- Bake 1 hour or until a knife inserted 1 inch from the edge comes out clean; remove from oven.
- Place round pan on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Chill for 4 hours or overnight.
- To unmold, run a metal knife around the edge of the flan and invert onto a plate; shake slightly to loosen.
- Gently twist to remove pan.
- Caramel sauce will drizzle down the sides.
- Add chocolate garnish if desired.