Prep 4 hrs
Cook 10 mins
Adapted from a friend who got this from BH&G. Prep includes chill time.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 8 -10 ladyfingers, split in half lengthwise
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 2⁄3 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- chocolate shavings (optional)
- whipped cream (optional)
- In a small saucepan, combine gelatin and 1/4 cup cold water.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Cook and stir over low heat until gelatin is dissolved; set aside.
- In a heavy, small saucepan, cook and stir chocolate and the 3 tablespoons water over low heat until chocolate is melted.
- Stir in the 1/3 cup whipping cream until smooth.
- Stir in gelatin mixture and remove from heat.
- Cool to room temp, stirring occasionally.
- Line a souffle dish (1 1/2 qt) with plastic wrap.
- Carefully arrange lady finger halves, upright, around the side of the dish; set aside.
- In a chilled large bowl, combine the 1 1/2 whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Beat with chilled beaters on electric mixer on medium speed until peaks form and tips curl.
- Gently fold chocolate mixture into whipped cream mixture.
- Spoon into ladyfinger lined dish; spread top evenly.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or until set.
- To serve, invert dish onto serving platter and unmold charlotte.
- Carefully remove plastic wrap.
- Garnish with additional whipped cream and shaved chocolate.