Recipe by gailanng
A wonderfully sweet chocolate chai. Makes your tea a little more exciting. Note: I especially like alwalde's suggestion to cut back on the milk. Please take that change into consideration when preparing.
Top Review by awalde
Comforting and warming spiced beverage. All those tropic ingredients melts well together and develop a nice flavor.
I prepared as suggested, but I cutted down the nutmeg as I used some fresh grounded.
It's good way to cut down the quantity of milk keeping full taste. The chilli addition is a good tip!
Thanks a lot for offering this.
- 1 cup water
- 2 tea bags, black
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons (6 tablespoons total)
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- couple grains salt
- whipped cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Remove from heat; add tea bags. Cover and steep 5 minutes. Remove tea bags.
- Stir in sugar and cocoa. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Add milk, vanilla, spices and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is heated through, about 5 minutes. Do not boil. Strain, if desired. Pour into warm mugs. Garnish each with whipping cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg, if desired.