Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe comes from the delicious Cupcake Bakeshop by Chocylit. If you love cupcakes, you need to check out her blog.
Chai Spice Mix
- 9.85 ml fennel seeds
- 9.85 ml cloves
- 14.79 ml ground cardamom
- 9.85 ml ground cinnamon
- 9.85 ml ground ginger
Chocolate Chai Spice Cupcakes (use 3 tsp chai mixed spice)
- 200 g bar of valrhona 61% cacao
- 354.88 ml butter
- 532.32 ml sugar
- 8 eggs
- 295.73 ml flour
- 59.14 ml unsweetened cocoa powder
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 0.25 ml salt
Chai Spice Buttercream Frosting (use 2 tsp chai mixed spice)
- 236.59 ml butter
- 946.36-1182.95 ml powdered sugar, sifted
- 59.14 ml milk
- 9.85 ml minced fresh ginger
- With a small food processor, grind up the whole fennel and cloves.
- Transfer to a small bowl and add remaining spices. Mix to combine.
- Chop chocolate and transfer into the bowl of a standing mixer.
- Add butter to the chocolate and place the bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir until chocolate melts and butter is combined.
- Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Let mixture cool for 10 minutes.
- Beat in an electric mixer for 3 minutes.
- Add one egg at a time, mixing for 30 seconds between each.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, chai spice mix, and a pinch of salt into the mixture and mix until blended.
- Scoop into cupcake cups and bake at 350 F for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Beat butter until creamy, scrape bowl.
- Add 4 cups of sifted powdered sugar, milk, spice mix, and ginger. Beat until combined.
- Add more powdered sugar as needed to get piping consistency.
- Assemble cooled cupcakes.
My family and I loved it. I love spices, but wasn't sure about the Cardamom, so I used a little less, 1 1/2 TBS, I didn`t have valrhona so I replaced it with 1/3 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder. I didn´t make the frosting. It turned out great, I will upload the pics.
Thanks for sharing.
Loved these!!! Used regular baking chocolate. I love the spices in the frosting. So good. I dont know if I cooked it wrong or its right but my cupcakes came out very dense. More like a brownie. But so delicious. Goes excellent with a big class of milk.