Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
adapted from Dierberg's Everybody Cook's magazine
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- Stir together the sugar with all the spices in a small bowl; remove 1/2 cup to a pie plate on the side for dredging the cookies. Add cocoa to small bowl with sugar/spice mixture and stir to blend.
- Beat butter in an electric mixer bowl until fluffy. Add the spiced cocoa mixture and beat until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla, then add flour and baking powder at low speed until combined.
- Form 1-tablespoonful sized balls. Roll them in the reserved sugar mixture and arrange 2 inches apart on parchment lined baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees 12-15 minutes. Cool in the pan for a few minutes before transfering to a rack to cool.
Nice one! I found the mixture was very fluffy and difficult to handle but the end result was well worth it - light well flavoured biscuits.