Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe was featured in an email today from the www.lifescript.com website. I just wish there was a picture! :-)
For the cake
- 1 cup cake flour (minus 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups superfine sugar, divided
- 1 1⁄4 cups egg whites (about 10 large eggs)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the icing and oranges
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1⁄2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 4 oranges, peel and pith removed and cut into sections
- For the cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Sift the flour twice with the cocoa powder and 1/2 cup of the sugar.
- With an electric mixer on high speed, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until soft peaks form when the mixer is removed from the batter.
- Add half of the remaining sugar and beat for 1 minute. Add the remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating after each addition.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Fold the flour and sugar mixture into the egg whites, 1/4 cup at a time, until just incorporated.
- Put the batter in an ungreased 10" tube pan and bake until the cake is springy to the touch, about 1 hour. Invert the pan and let the cake cool completely before removing from the pan. (This can be made in advance and stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days.)
- For the icing and oranges: Whisk the sugar, milk and vanilla or rum extract together in a mixing bowl. Stir in the coconut.
- Drizzle the icing over the cake.
- Serve each slice of cake with orange sections arranged like a fan on the side of each piece.