1 hr 10 mins
This recipe was featured in an email today from the www.lifescript.com website. I just wish there was a picture! :-)
My Private Note
10 inch ...
Units: US | Metric
For the cake
- 1 cup cake flour (minus 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups superfine sugar, divided
- 1 1/4 cups egg whites (about 10 large eggs)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the icing and oranges
- 1For the cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F
- 2Sift the flour twice with the cocoa powder and 1/2 cup of the sugar.
- 3With an electric mixer on high speed, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until soft peaks form when the mixer is removed from the batter.
- 4Add half of the remaining sugar and beat for 1 minute. Add the remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating after each addition.
- 5Stir in the vanilla.
- 6Fold the flour and sugar mixture into the egg whites, 1/4 cup at a time, until just incorporated.
- 7Put the batter in an ungreased 10" tube pan and bake until the cake is springy to the touch, about 1 hour. Invert the pan and let the cake cool completely before removing from the pan. (This can be made in advance and stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days.)
- 8For the icing and oranges: Whisk the sugar, milk and vanilla or rum extract together in a mixing bowl. Stir in the coconut.
- 9Drizzle the icing over the cake.
- 10Serve each slice of cake with orange sections arranged like a fan on the side of each piece.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Celebration Cake
Serving Size: 1 (108 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 218.6
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.2 mg
- Sodium 96.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 36.4 g
- Protein 3.9 g