Recipe by YummySmellsca
Don't be fooled by all the nutritious ingredients like white whole wheat flour, fruits, vegetables and homemade yogurt - these are packed with decadent chocolate flavour and even a brownie like sugar "crust" on top!
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt (or homemade yoghurt)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup finely shredded yellow squash, peel left on (or zucchini)
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1 small sweet apple, finely shredded, peel left on (I used Red Prince)
- 8 teaspoons coarse raw sugar (for topping)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two muffin tins with cupcake liners, and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, oil, yogurt and vanilla.
- Beat in the sugars and cocoa until smooth.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder and baking soda until just combined, then add the squash, carrots and apple and fold in until evenly distributed.
- Scoop the prepared batter into the muffin tins ¾ of the way up.
- Sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.