1/1 Photo of Chocolate Carrot Cake with Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing
Every year at work we have around Valentine's Day a little ritual called Secret Pals, where you draw the name of a co-worker and spoil them all week with little gifts. At the end of the week you serve them with their favourite dessert and reveal your identity to them. One year I had someone who loved carrot cake so I wanted to give him something a little different so I looked through my cookbooks and found this recipe, which is a bit different than my usual carrot cake recipes. He absolutely loved it (and so did my husband!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pinch allspice
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1CAKE: In a bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and allspice; stir in walnuts, raisins and coconut.
- 2In a large bowl, beat eggs; gradually blend in the brown and granulated sugars.
- 3Add oil; beat in chocolate.
- 4Stir in carrots.
- 5Add flour mixture all at once, mixing just until evenly combined.
- 6Line a greased 13 x 9-inch cake pan with parchment paper or waxed paper.
- 7Grease the paper.
- 8Pour the batter into the pan and bake in a 325 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly touched and cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- 9Let cool.
- 10TO MAKE ICING: Meanwhile, in a bowl, beat cream cheese until light; beat in chocolate.
- 11Gradually beat in the sugar; cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30 to 60 minutes or until spreadable.
- 12Spread over the cooled cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Carrot Cake with Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing
Serving Size: 1 (133 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 622.1
- Calories from Fat 328
- Total Fat 36.4 g
- Saturated Fat 14.0 g
- Cholesterol 73.6 mg
- Sodium 261.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 51.8 g
- Protein 9.3 g