Recipe by Irmgard
Every year at work we have around Valentine's Day a little ritual called Secret Pals, where you draw the name of a co-worker and spoil them all week with little gifts. At the end of the week you serve them with their favourite dessert and reveal your identity to them. One year I had someone who loved carrot cake so I wanted to give him something a little different so I looked through my cookbooks and found this recipe, which is a bit different than my usual carrot cake recipes. He absolutely loved it (and so did my husband!)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pinch allspice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1⁄2 lb cream cheese
- 1⁄4 lb semisweet chocolate, melted
- 2 cups sifted icing sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- CAKE: In a bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and allspice; stir in walnuts, raisins and coconut.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs; gradually blend in the brown and granulated sugars.
- Add oil; beat in chocolate.
- Stir in carrots.
- Add flour mixture all at once, mixing just until evenly combined.
- Line a greased 13 x 9-inch cake pan with parchment paper or waxed paper.
- Grease the paper.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake in a 325 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly touched and cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Let cool.
- TO MAKE ICING: Meanwhile, in a bowl, beat cream cheese until light; beat in chocolate.
- Gradually beat in the sugar; cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30 to 60 minutes or until spreadable.
- Spread over the cooled cake.