Recipe by CoffeeB
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Sorry (for myself) that I made this cake as a take-to-work-&-share for my other half, but that's the way it goes sometimes! So, I'll just have to make this one again for right here, 'cause this really is A GREAT TASTING CAKE, & a wonderful change from the usual carrot cake, & that comes from someone who really, really enjoys a good carrot cake! [Tagged, made & reviewed for this month's VIP in the Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap 14]
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable oil
- 3 cups carrots, finely shredded
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3 3⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- Add the eggs, oil and carrots.
- Beat until combined.
- Pour into prepared 9x13, cupcake liners or 9 inch round baking pans. If using 9-in. round baking pans, line with waxed paper, and grease the paper.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, (less if making cupcakes).
- Cool 10 minutes before removing from baking pans to wire rack to cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, and butter.
- Beat until smoooth and fluffy.
- Beat in the powdered sugar, cocoa, and vanilla until smooth.
- If using 9-inch rounds:.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate and spread with half the frosting.
- Repeat layers.
- Sprinkle with nuts and chocolate chips.