Recipe by jo_mama
I love cardamom! I can't get enough of it, so I modified two other 'Zaar recipes (32204 and 97213) to satisfy my cardamom craving. Voilà, one more way to enjoy the subtle delights of cardamom.
Top Review by lmb
I made this recipe today and eliminated the frosting (I know it's weird, but I just don't like frosting on brownies). Per scoobstar's suggestion, I also added 1/2 tsp of cinnamon. It was delicious! Quick note: I used one 9x13 pan and baked for 30 minutes. The brownies were pretty moist and just cooked enough.
- 1 cup butter (melted)
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cardamom (the longer its been in your spice drawer, the more you should use)
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate (for ganache icing)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream (for ganache icing)
- 1 tablespoon butter (for ganache icing)
- 1 cup pistachios (hulled and roughly chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat over to 350°F.
- Grease two 8x8 glass pans or one larger pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter and cocoa powder.
- Add sugar, mix well.
- Add eggs and stir until well combined.
- Add vanilla, cardamom, and salt, stir well. Add in flour (until combined), but do not overmix.
- Spoon mixture into pan(s) and bake for approximately 25 minutes (depending on pan size), until toothpick inserted into middle comes out clean.
- Set brownies on rack to dry.
- Once brownies are out of the oven, to make the ganache icing, using a double boiler, combine the chocolate, cream, and butter. Keep stirring until combined.
- Remove mixture from heat. Stir occasionally until cool. Spread over brownies. Top with chopped pistachios.