Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
These little gems were winners in a Good Morning America cookie contest. They're crunchy, chewy, delicious and look like they came from the best bakery in town. They're much easier to make than they look.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened dutch process cocoa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- 10 plain caramels, unwrapped (1x1 1/2-inch each)
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate or 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- Cookies: Cream butter, sugar, egg yolk, milk and vanilla.
- Sift in flour, cocoa and salt and beat on low speed until dough forms.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill at least 30 minutes or until firm.
- Roll dough into 1 T balls, coat with egg white, and roll in nuts.
- Place 1 1/2" apart on greased cookie sheets.
- Flatten centers of cookies with thumb, leaving a depression.
- Bake at 350°, 10-12 minutes or until slightly puffed but centers are still soft.
- Leave cookies on cookie sheet and immediately depress centers of cookies again (I use a wooden spoon handle end).
- Move to wire racks and cool.
- Filling: Microwave caramels and cream until melted and smooth.
- Use a spoon and fill the centers of partially cooled cookies and then cool completely.
- Chocolate Drizzle: Microwave chocolate until melted and place in resealable plastic bag.
- Make a small cut in one corner and drizzle a narrow bead of chocolate over the cookies.
- Chocolate will set in 30 minutes.